Monday, September 2, 2013

Toadally cute layout


Posted by: Kristen Swain · Edit

Good morning Circlets! This week is CREEPY CRAWLIES week! ICK! Being a total girl, and a mom to two girlie girls, we don’t have a lot of icky creatures in our lives, thank goodness! But occasionally my husband convinces the girls to handle some creature- a worm, cricket, tiny snake, etc… and it always makes for a good story. This layout is all about a toad we found in our yard, and getting pics of these moments are all what scrapping is about. I love that pic of my youngest Annalise’s face. She is definitely NOT completely ok with the toad, but being a brave little girl. She eventually got used enough to him to pet him a bit, what  a trooper!

When I started to create this layout, as I usually do, I start with a rough sketch of what the design will be. I wanted that top border to be an anchor point for my papers, photos, and rounded elements, but I wanted it to be fun and part of the theme, so I did add pattern paper, but I also cut out this nice grass border which really added to the backyard feel.

I like that Annalise’s top matched this paper from My Mind’s Eye Good Day Sunshine, so I pulled out some of the papers that had a small print from the collection.  I also pulled in this green dot paper from Pink Paislee Hometown Summer Collection.  To keep the bold dot pattern from overtaking the layout and photos, I kept it in small pieces, and used it in a place that it would only peek out from behind layers, like I did in the middle border piece.

After I arranged my background pieces, stitching the almond paper into place on the background. I added three large circles in which I was planning on placing my frog images and title. I stitched the two smaller circles, and then cut out two different frogs but also two smaller grass border pieces. I arranged these pieces, first embossing my frogs with the Tiny Bubbles embossing folder, then pen detailed the frogs, adding wiggle eyes to them.  My pieces felt like they were floating on my layout, so I anchored them with the grass borders, but still wanting some additional decorations, I added three coordinating buttons to the sides.

I liked the debossed effect for the frogs, so I turned them over. For my title though, I liked the embossed look. I welded the letters together and popped them up on top of another cut plain version, so I would have more dimension.

I finished my word with another font to make the word TOAD stick out,  then I added a few sticker chipboard letters, and a couple small punched circles, keeping with my circle theme throughout the layout.
Notice- Dot cardstock, three circle pattern papers, dot embossing, three main circles for embellishment, circle embellishments ( buttons and punches), all these items help give my layout a cohesive design.
I hope you have enjoyed my creepy crawly layout today, and I hope this layout inspires your own scrapping!!

***DOWNLOAD Kristen’s Icky Amphibian Gypsy File HERE***
Cricut Expression
Cricut Gypsy Handheld Device
Martha Stewart Seasonal Cake Art
cut- grass border- 11.66 and5.18 inches
Accent Essentials
cut- circle- 5.45 inches, 5.73 inches, 3.48 inches, 4.22 inches,3.88 inches, 3.15 inches
Paper Doll Dress Up
cut- accessory 1- 2.94 inches
accessory1- 3.57 inches
Storybook
cut-bracket-3.25×6.5 inches
Cricut Classic Font-
Ally-.72 inches
Tall Ball Shadow- .58 inches
Birthday Bash
cut- TOAD -3.73inches
and CROAK- .49 inches
Cricut Cuttlebug Machine
Tiny Bubbles Embossing Folder
My Mind’s Eye Good Day Sunshine Collection
Pink Paislee Hometown Summer Collection
Buttons, Dot Cardstock, Linen Cardstock- Bobunny
Black pen, wiggle eyes, twine, sewing machine
Letter stickers- American Crafts
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
BUT WAIT!!! Dont’ go anywhere yet! I still have a bonus project to share with you. I just discovered that you can use your Imagine Machine to print on fabric!! How KEWL is that!!!
I created this fun door knob hanger that gets to the point quickly!
All I did was to use some fusible interfacing and ironed it on my lightweight cotton fabric.  Then I placed the interfacing side down on my Imagine Mat, and I put the paper through the machine, using Imagine More Cards for the Butterfly and Bee, and Country Carnival for the letters.

I first printed out my art, then I handcut out the fabric.  I then handstitched each letter and insect on a panel of the same lightweight fabric.
I took more of the same lightweight fabric, and double layered it to create this soft pillow, adding a bit of ribbon in at the top to work as the door hanger. You can see that I actually stitched the fabric on the right side, and left little pulls and bits of the fabric showing. I like the shabby chic look that this gave my door hanger.
To finish the hanger, I added some crinkled ribbon, some glittered floral stems, a small flower and shaped button, to the top of both sides of the hanger.

To the bottom of the Don’t Bug Me side, I added a small button and twine, then stitched on these glittered star charms.

On the Welcome side, I added a small clear orange button with twine, and used my I-Rock Tool to add on gems to the butterfly wings.  Also, because this is printed from the Imagine, this isn’t really a washable project, but you can make lots of wonderful home decor with it!
I hope you’ve enjoyed today’s post! thanks for coming by!!

Cricut Imagine
Imagine Art Country Carnival
print- welcome and don’t- 1 inch
print- bug me- 0.6 inches
Imagine Art Imagine More
print- bee and butterfly- real dial size- 4 inches
Fabric
Sewing machine/sewing thread and needle
Star Charms- Teresa Collins- Blingage II
I-Rock and Hot Rocks- Imaginisce
Ribbon- seam binding, bobunny

No comments: