Monday, September 2, 2013

My office space

May 4 2011

My tidy little office

Posted by: Kristen Swain · Edit

Today we have Kristen Swain here to share her spacious scrapping space with us! I love that she has a spot for family and other visitors to hang out so that she can work on projects, yet still feel connected to the family. Her desk is a whoppin’ 4 feet by 8 feet. What a dream to have all that surface area to spread projects out on! And that VIEW!!!! Hello?!!! I would never want to leave that room! A big THANKS to Kristen for sharing her space with us today!
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
Good morning Circlets! Kristen here with my scraproom/office.  When we moved into our home several years ago, we converted this add-0n sunroom into my office.  Because our house is over 60 years old, we are still working on updating, and haven’t had much money to put into my office space. When we do- new windows, doors, insulation and ceiling will be top priority. For now, it works and is a nice sunny place to be.
My preference is to have my supplies put away, to have the room relatively clutter free. I work best with a neat and clean room, and often clean up between projects.  I love that I can shut it away when we have guests or open all the doors and work easily.
This is the view from the other side of the room. You can see my large 4×8 table, my husband built for me. I have a marble laminate top on it and my computer and work space are on one side of the table and my kids/hubby’s computer is on the other side.

This is the other side of my room, with an old couch, tv, and stand we’ve added a third sitting place for everyone to hang out- that’s not my living room or den.  Often in the summer we will use the round table at the end of the room for summer brunches and a family favorite- eating blue crabs!  We get the outside feeling without all the bugs of being out there.   You can see my large double cabinet that holds the bulk of my supplies.

This is the bulk of my paper supplies.  I bought two cabinets at Lowe’s for around $220. My husband cut extra plywood for me,  to create all the extra shelves inside these “laundry room” cabinets.  Because I needed it set up right away, I never gave him the chance to paint and finish the cabinets, so I live with them this way ( one day maybe I’ll get them painted LOL!) I have totes that store my lesser used punches. I have many smaller items in the two iris carts that are drawer units. You can also see the Karen Foster 12×12 totes I have, these hold scraps, ribbons, team supplies and card making items. I can easily get out one box and use it, keeping all my team supplies in one spot.

This little cabinet nook is just behind me, I keep my cricut supplies inside the left cabinet, and my office supplies/magazines/publishings/markers/Knifty Knitter looms in the right cabinet.  Again, for about $500 I bought two “laundry room” wall cabinets, two countertop cabinets and a small 4 foot countertop. My Cricut Expression and sewing machine sit on top of this cabinet.  My Cuttlebug sits on another cabinet just out of view. And my Imagine machine now sits on a small wire rack that also holds my printer, just to the side of my desk between the desk and wall.

Like Lynn,  I’m using bead boxes to keep my Cricut and Imagine Carts. I have them two Cricut carts to a space and they are put in alphabetically.  Extra spaces are perfect to hold my deep cut blade, and extra blades.

I have photo boxes to hold my overlays and books- I’m still searching for the perfect dividers to help me sort them.

I found another color photo box to hold my embossing folders. I have taken each one, written the name across the bottom front of the folder and I have them sorted by size and then alphabetically. The larger folders fit better when there is just enough room to tilt to get the lid on flat.

Lastly for my room, the view I get to see. I think this is the absolute best thing about my office. Often out in the field I watch deer run or various birds soar across.

This is what I get treated to every fall morning.

And I can’t leave you today, without sharing something crafty with you. I have two pretty shaped cards for you.
I simply used my Gypsy to take two images, and flip the second image. Then I place them close together and weld them, this way each shape will be cut out as one whole shape, and you can then just use your scoring blade to add your card fold.

For this butterfly card, I created my card first with cardstock, then cut a full butterfly from pattern paper. This helps cover any flat looking edge. Then decorate as you please. I added glitter around the outside of the butterfly, adding a couple pearls over the decorative circles on the wings. I added two more smaller cut out butterflies- I always like to bend the wings up a bit for dimension. Then I used two small heart pins for antennae, topped with a twine bow, this shell button and a small flat rose button. I printed the greeting out, and cut triangles from each side to look like a banner, then glued it to the card. This card would fit into a 5×7 envelope.

Another fun shape is a birdhouse, how cute for a “birthday” card. I again used my Gypsy , this time rotating my shapes to 30degrees  and -30degrees to fit the left side roof together and make my fold. Once again, I used patterned paper to cover the front of the card, this time shifting the red dot a bit to the side, to allow a little shadow of the cream card base to show.

I cut my layer with the pink checked paper, and then added the bird with kraft cardstock. As the pole for the bird to stand on, I added my small printed tag ( cut the ticket shape by using mini scallop scissors) and added the tag to a bit of twine bow, then adding this corduroy brad.  I added a bit of foam tape to the bird wing, and then dotted the EYE with a black marker. I finished by adding a twine/button bow to the top of the house, and glittering some of the edges of the house.



Cricut Expression
Gypsy Handheld Device
Elegant Edges
butterfly- 4.88, 2.06, 2.41
Pop-Up Neighborhood
1.47
- layer1- 1.47
Cindy Loo
7.16
layer1- 7.16
Paper- October Afternoon ( Modern Homemaker)
Foam Tape and Adhesive Squares- Glue Arts
Twine
Glitter
cardstock- The Paper Company
Brad- GCD studios
Shell Button
Rose Button/Pins- Maya Road
Pearls- Teresa Collin

No comments: