Monday, September 2, 2013

Spooky treats and wearables

Oct 21 2010

Apple O’Lanterns

Posted by: Kristen Swain · Edit
Thoughtful Thursdays are all about the little things we do to brighten each other’s day. Cards, gifts, treats, party favors, and more! It *IS* the thought that counts!

Hey there! Kristen here today with two cute projects for you today.  First are some treats!!
There are no tricks involved with making these super cute fun apples!

I made a whole fun scene on my dining room buffet table to show you how cute these look not just as delicious treats, but part of the party decor as well.
I used the Cricut Pumpkin Carving Cartridge and decorated each pumpkin with it’s own individual face. ( how cute to personalize them to match your guests at the party?)

Instead of using the cut outs of the carvings, I used the negative images and created my own little Apple  O’Lanterns.  The cake frosting sheets worked perfectly and stuck right on to my homemade caramel, I used brown and white sheets .  I think those caramel apple wraps would be perfect as well!

And if you don’t want to eat these guys at the party, they would package up nicely in a fun cellophane bag tied with some curly ribbon.
Another tip I have for you, once you get the icing sheet stuck to the apples, give them a nice shine by adding a little shortening to your finger and lightly rubbing over the design.  I also put my apple o’lanterns on Halloween themed cupcake wrappers, they fit perfectly and allowed me to move them around without mess.  Tie some bows to the lollipop stick or dowel to make them even more festive.

Cricut Cake Machine
Cricut Pumpkin Carving Cartridge
4 inches
2.34 inches
4 inches
4 inches
Caramel dipped apples with dowels inserted
Cupcake Wrappers
Brown and White Icing Sheets
Next, I have a fun Girlie Skull and Crossbones reverse painting technique for clothing to share with you.
Both my girls, in the older child and early tweens ages  are very much into the skull and crossbones look. And finding something cute can be really difficult!

I found a plain hoodie  sweatshirt on sale at the fabric store.  This technique is what I call reverse stenciling, because you leave the image down and splatter paint around it, leaving the image relatively plain but everything else is covered in paint around it.

What I did was to use some vinyl and cut out my shapes from the Rock Princess cartridge. I created my own shape by adding the crossbones to the back of the skull, the vinyl being stickered on one side made this super easy. I placed my skull on the front of the hoodie, slightly off center and around the pocket, again, it stuck easily because of the sticker backing. Then I used a fabric spray paint to ‘splatter’ the paint all around the skull. You can use a paint brush to smoosh the paint around the skull more so that it will stand out. I painted this hoodie two times, just making sure I really splattered it well. Then I cut out the detail bow for the skull, added it in place and again, splattered lightly and smooched ( or stippled) the paint just a bit to make the bow stand out. Then I let the whole jacket dry well.
After it was dry, I flipped it over to the back, and added my skull to that side.  Again, I did mine off center and lower to the side, just to add interest, and I splattered away with the skull image. When I was done, I repeated the same steps with the bow.

After the whole jacket was totally dry and finished, I added one more step. I sprayed the whole jacket with fabric glitter spray. It gave it such sparkle and shine. My daughter loved the jacket, and especially because I made it for her, what a sweet little gift it turned out to be.

Cricut Expression
Cricut Vinyl ( any color)
Cricut Rock Princess Cartridge
Layer1- 6 inches
Layer2-6 inches
6 inches
Sweatshirt
Fabric Spray Paint- White and Glitter
I hope you a fun and spooky Halloween!

No comments: