Monday, September 2, 2013

Meatloaf topped with bacon

I have heard mixed reviews about meatloaf. Some love it. Some hate it. My family loves it. But we don't like the tomato based topping that you find on most meatloaves. I usually just add my ingredients and bake it in the oven. But last night, well, I had bacon in the fridge, and I had an idea!

So basically I mixed my ground beef- hubby had sorted a large package and left me a whopping 3 pounds to work with. I figured leftovers rock the next day so I used it all. I added in 2 cups of bread crumbs, 1/4 cup of Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce, and ketchup. A heaping double squirt ( about 4 tblsp) of spicy brown mustard. About 2 large tblsp of chopped garlic, 2 eggs and a couple shakes of worchestershire. I also chopped a large sweet onion and added about 1/2 of that to my meatloaf.
I mixed the whole thing up, baked for 45 mins at 375 degrees then upped it to 400 for the last 15 minutes. Juicy- the bacon was crispy- and the best part- my meatloaf didn't fall apart when I cut it!!
(and what to do with leftover chopped vegs? stick them in a baggie in the freezer. I keep onion and sweet peppers in there at all times, perfect for adding to any cooked dish and they make an awesome omelet!!

No comments: