Monday, September 2, 2013

Teenagers

Feb 24 2012

Teenagers!

Posted by: Kristen Swain · Edit
Hey Circlets! Kristen here, and I have a teen, and one in the tween stages. Some days, I just want to pull out my hair! But I wouldn’t trade them for the world. I just could do with a whole helping less drama, since both mine are girls! We are just in the stages of borrowing clothes and jewelry, fighting over the bathroom and who does which chores, me chauffeuring them and their friends around to and from various clubs, and having a blast on the occasional girls day out.  Add in baking together, finding hair clips and some jewelry with my feet (ouch!) and glitter on my couch cushions, I just adore that most days are good days and they are still talking to me. :)
When I got this assignment, I knew exactly what photos I wanted to use. Over the summer Alizabeth and I decided to take some fun pics in her room, and they came out so bright and colorful I knew I wanted to use them. Figuring out the subject of the layout was easy too, with her obsession with music I just knew I could find some cute teenage cuts.

When pulling out my papers, I wanted to use music and zebra print, since the music paper matched my theme and the zebra print matched her pillow. I used my Cricut Imagine Machine and printed the papers using the Imagine Black and White cartridge.
Then I added in several colors, lime, medium lime and turquoise with some black and white thrown in. The colors are super bold and go well with my theme.

I also added in some embossing once I cut out several of my diecuts. The plain stars are transformed with the Cuttlebug Stars Embossing Folder. And I used a Cheetah Print Folder (from the Cuttlebug Animal Prints set) for my title and banner that holds my girl diecut. With the stars I found that they were the perfect size to emboss my single stars.

After searching for a girl diecut- I found this perfect one on the Rock Princess cartrodge. Leaning back and relaxing, I knew she would fit with my theme and that I could place small diecuts around her. Then I colored her to match my daughter, using a tan cardstock and blondish color for her hair. One trick I use is to cut out small cuts in white and color them with Sharpies, this can be easier and allow you to use colors if you run out of certain ones in cardstock.
After deciding I wanted the star diecuts, I searched for music notes and these two from Nifty Fifties were just what I wanted.

I used Robotz for the font, adding a shadow in black and then embossing the whole title using the cheetah print. I love the dimension it gives. And I snuck an extra star for the I in the title.

I love the dimension that embossing gives, it’s almost a patterned paper, without being too busy. And you can see the little additions of the punched scallop border, the tied button and the MP3 player I tucked in behind my main photo.

Love that this girl is kicking back listening to some tunes. I added the music notes around her, attaching the banner with some staples, and I gave her a pair of gold shoes and gold tiara.

And lastly, another star accent with the journaling that you can read it.
Hope you have enjoyed my funky teen layout today!


Designed By: Kristen Swain
Cricut Machines Used: Cricut Expression 2 Electronic Cutting Machine, Cricut Imagine Machine, Cricut Craft Room, Cuttlebug
Cricut Cartridges Used: Imagine Black & White, Rock Princess, Nifty Fifties, Robotz
Other Supplies: Cuttlebug Embossing Folders (Stars, Animal Prints Set), Cardstock (American Crafts), Buttons (Doodlebug Design), Twine (The Beadery), Markers (Sharpie), Gold Paint (Tattered Angels), Adhesives

No comments: