Monday, September 2, 2013

Spring Critters

Mar 21 2012

Spring Critters

Posted by: Kristen Swain · Edit
Hey Circlets! Today I’m bringing you along to the zoo with me. When the weather starts warming up, but it’s still too early to go to the beach or to an amusement park, we like to head out to the zoo. We are special because we have several zoos around us to get to. One of my favorite things to do at the end of our visit is to let my kids go into the souvenir shop and pick out something to remember the day by. One great zoo near us is the National Zoo, with free admission I certainly don’t mind splurging on a stuffed animal or two. (My hubby and I call the zoo the Baltimore Washington Zoo, as there are other zoos around and it’s easier for us to remember it by that name.) We also have the Maryland Zoo, and the Philadelphia Zoo ( did you know the Philly Zoo was America’s first zoo!).
For this project, I was to use a Cricut Craft Room Exclusive cartridge and at first, I thought it would be difficult to find a critter or something spring-like to use on my layout. Browsing through I came across the Finger Puppets-Safari cartridge. and Wow! these cute little guys inspired me to create this fun and totally cute layout.

You do not have to cut out the little finger puppet part of the cuts and the little rounded bellies look so cute, they came together perfectly for my layout.
I did try to keep my patterned papers simple. I used some bright colors but kept the animals similar by only using 5 different colors.
I used brads in two sizes to mimic their wonky cute eyes. And I grouped them on the layout trying not to overlap them too much.

I also added some jungle looking leaves, tucking them in and around the layout to add more color and texture.

For the journaling, I cut two flag pieces, just by cutting a strip and then cutting a triangle from one end. I then sewed them and lightly overlapped them for my journaling, which I hand wrote.

You may notice, I also stitched around the layout, as I began my layout, adding the stitching gives me a nice edge to my large paper blocks.
One of my favorite things about using my Gypsy Device or Cricut Craft Room is the ability to weld my lettering together. I do this every possible time, so I don’t have to glue down letters and make sure they are all straight. I welded my title letters together and only had four pieces to glue and place.

Hope you have a zoo-rific day!


Designed By: Kristen Swain
Cricut Machines Used: Cricut Expression MachineCricut Craft Room
Cricut Cartridges Used: Finger Puppets – Safari (Cricut Craft Room Exclusive), Life is a Beach, Robotz
Other Supplies: Cardstock (American Crafts), Patterned Paper (Echo Park Paper - green, Bella Blvd), Sewing machine, Brads (Making Memories), Foam tape (Glue Arts), Adhesives

No comments: