Saturday, October 2, 2010

World Card Making Day!

Good MORNING!! today is... World Card Making Day! How cool is that! If you visit my blog often enough, you will see that cards are one of my favorite projects to make. What I love about cards are they are a quick little gem of a project, something I get done in about 30 minutes. ( I'm a fusser when it comes to putting it all down) 

First, I'm sharing my PARTY CUPCAKES I made for the CRICUT CIRCLE BLOG LAUNCH!
Once upon a time I was a professional cake decorator before I had children. This was in the days when Fondant was not popular and buttercream was all the rage. So now, I have certain skills with working with icing, but I'm going through a whole learning process with the fondant.


For those who don't have a Cricut Cake, they are an amazing machine, they are food safe, but work just like the Cricut Expression does, you simply cut through fondant or gum paste instead of paper.


These flowers were the first cuts I'd made with the fondant, and I love how it just cut through so nicely!
 If I had any real big tips for you at this point, it would be to invest the $8 for a fondant rolling pin, the pin comes with two sizes of spacers which really helps in getting an even thickness all the way across your fondant. ( you could just buy the premade icing sheets too) lol!


Here are a couple cards I whipped together yesterday

first is this nice Halloween card, I used American crafts paper, BB dot cardstock, Echo Park stickers and journal spot, and MyStampBox stamps (Boo! Set) for the spiderweb and cut out spider. I used some super large May Arts rick rack and knotted that along the side.



Next - my all time favorite color combo.Blues or Teals and lime green. Oh I love it!
I was sorting through my scraps box yesterday and found these older SEI papers, I matched it with the Scenic Route graph paper, and this Gcd studios strip of christmas paper. I stamped MyStampBox's Colorful Companions in lime on the solid reverse of the green, then cut them out. I colored the glittered LAUGH sticker ( KImem) with a sharpie and cut out two flowers from the scraps of the background paper for the centers of my bflies. I added a shell button with some twine onto my banner holding the greeting.



Next I went super bright and fun, using MyStampBox Colorful Companions butterflies in pink onto pink cardstock, and cut them out.  I found Amer. Crafts wood grain paper, and old old KI mem number paper, then added in a little more of that lime gcdstudios paper to the card. made a block with more of the papers, putting in a scallop punched bit of black too. The greeting is made with a strip of gcd studios paper, and letters are MAMBI I think. I tied the twine on, folded down the top corner and added black buttons to my butterflies.



Lastly, for today, I have another halloween card for you. This one uses Echo Park Halloween papers. I added the purple block to green and trimmed with mini scallop scissors. Then I added this orange 'ribbon' strip and tied on a bit of black dot ribbon. I cut out a journal spot to use as my background, then added this dot embossed folder bit of green ( seeing spots folder) and punched with my scallop punch. I knotted some twine on a button and added that to the top of my bow. I also printed out a bit of my greeting on cream paper, and then finished it with EP letter stickers. Then I finished my card with a couple pumpkin stickers I embellished with star stickers.



Thank you for dropping in today, I hope you will try your hand at card making today, and I hope my cards have inspired you in some way!
have a terrific day!
kris

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! I don't know how you do it all! Love your creations!

Handmade Creations by Stephanie said...

WOW these ar all amazing happy WCMD!!!!

ellen s. said...

loving these!

Lilygirl said...

Wow great cards!! Cruisin' your site during the Circle Bloghop!!

Allene said...

Love these cupcakes!

Margret said...

I am so happy to see someone working with food. Those are so cute and I want to learn more. I hope you give us your fondant recipe.

Turnedgypsy said...

very pretty cards. and the cupcakes yummy. congrats on the design team.

chris
mcwooten1999@carolina.rr.com

by DeeDee said...

I love your card! I too love making cards.

Brens Designs said...

Love the name of your blog. All of your cards are amazing and the cupcakes are so pretty. TFS

Kelly Massman said...

Great cards and cupcakes!

Melissa said...

Everything looks fantastic!

nanapuddin said...

Amazing projects! TFS!! and inspiring!

Amber said...

Those cupcakes look delish!! Cute cards too!

Karen Edwards, Kaydee Designs 2 said...

Love these cards. I am excited that
you are going to be a designer for Cricut Create. Good luck.

Allison Cope said...

Holy canoly girl! You're rockin' the mSB stamps! WTG! Love all the inspiration!