Monday, September 2, 2013

Traditional Trees layout

Dec 14 2010

Traditional Trees

Posted by: Kristen Swain · Edit

Hello Circlets!! Kristen here with a fun layout and ornament combo for you today! Today is all about the trendy non-traditional colors being used on our paper crafting projects. What I love to do is mix up my color combos, not just using only non-traditional colors, but adding in a few traditional as well. It really brings some new flair to my many many many holiday layouts.
I used this gorgeous American Crafts – Dear Lizzy- Christmas Collection.

What I used were strips of paper, in addition to solids on the back of the papers.  After I printed and trimmed my photos with white cardstock, I layered them on this pink background. I then added several strips of paper, and cut out the Loop Border from Elegant Cakes. cut twice and layered across the layout. I also used the Martha Stewart Crafts Seasonal Cake Art cart to cut out the large Christmas tree, but I did cut it almost completely in half down the center ( just gave it a tich past the center point so some of the point would show.)

For my pretty medallion piece, I used Storybook to create this large cream oval,  then I used A Child’s Year to cut out the Santa profile, and double cut that single cut, then I  cut the second one around his hat and face, and layered the second cut on top, to give Santa some dimension.  I also did the same thing with the holly, cutting the silver paper twice, and a dark pink a single cut to make the berries stand out. I then layered both the holly and Santa onto the oval, dotting around it’s outside with a black pen, and I added two red buttons with twine on each side and popped up the whole thing for dimension!
Finally, I printed and added my journaling to the bottom part of the layout, and added my title in American Crafts Thicker Stickers- White and Pink.
Next,  I created two ornaments to go on my trees, keeping with their themes, one is family based, and the other is Santa Claus.

This JOY ornament I created first by layering 3 paper stars together,  cut from the Plantin Schoolbook Cart. Then I used the Winter Woodland Cart and created two snowpeople.  The snowlady I used foam tape on to pop her up a bit.  I also added two buttons and glued them for the man smowman’s buttons. Since the eyes were so tiny, I drew them on with my black pen, and to finish the ornament I layered on this felt Christmas Joy Sticker.

Then I used glitter glue to accent my ornament around the star and the snowpeople’s hats and scarves. And when dry, I added a bit of baker’s twine to hang my ornament.
Next, I have a Santa ornament for my Santa Themed Tree.

I created the backgound of the ornament using Storybook cart. I cut out the large medallion then I added an accordion folded double strip of paper. I then cut out another medallion and added that to the top of the accordion medallion.
I got back out my A Child’s Year cart, and cut out the Santa and child image, then cut it again as a shadow. and layered them together.
I covered the whole image with glitter glue, then added some extra glue and large crystal glitter to Santa’s hat, coat, and pants.  I then added a couple poinsettia stickers from the American Crafts Christmas line. I finished the ornament with a bit of baker’s twine to hang it.

I hope my nontraditional and tradition color mix inspires you to create today!
Happy Holidays!

Cricut Expression
Cricut Elegant Cake
Cuts- Phrase- 1 inch (2x)
StoryBook
Cuts- Accent Blackout-4 inches ( Layout)
Shadow- 3 inches and 5 inches ( Ornament)
Winter Woodland
Cuts- 4.5 inches, 4.5 inches, layers- 4.5 inches ( ornament)
4 inches, 4 inches, layers- 4 inches ( ornament)
Martha Stewart Crafts Seasonal Cake Art
Cuts- Cake- 8.5 inches
A Child’s Year
Cuts-  Icon- 3.25 inches (2x)
Icon- 2.5 inches (2x)
4 inches
Shadow- 4 inches
Plantin Schoolbook
Cuts- 4.5,5,5.25 inches
Paper/Stickers/Buttons- American Crafts – Dear Lizzy Christmas
Sticker letters-  American Crafts Thickers
Glitter Glue
Foam Tape- Glue Arts
Twine- The Twinery
Crystal Glitter- Joann’s
Black Pen

No comments: