Monday, September 2, 2013

Road trip mini album

May 24 2011

Road Trip!

Posted by: Kristen Swain · Edit

Happy Tuesday, Circlets! Since this week is all about travel and road trips, I am showing you a cute mini album I created of a family outing we took a couple years ago.  Every year at least once, we pile the kids in the car and go on a day trip. We bring some snacks, water and tunes, and just explore the country side. We have fun finding historic sites , civil war battlefields and picturesque spots.  We stay long enough to stretch our legs and head off to find something else exciting. Sometimes we’ll stop in at local places and see what yummy treats we can have.
Since Tuesdays are about Tips and Techniques, I have one of each to share with you.
First a tip, when you are creating a mini album, the best way to keep it flowing is to use similar embellishments and designs throughout the whole album. This can be easy to say, and difficult to do, since it’s easy to place papers and embellishments in the same spot for each page, and  take the chance of becoming boring. I like to think about what iembellishments I can use to be uniform, but change up placements, use several designs of coordinating papers, and change up photo placement.
Technique, one of my absolute favorite scrapbook combination items ( and cheap too) are a button and twine. You can add the twine to the button holes to make it look like the button is sewn on, or my favorite, is to tie a bow behind the button. I use this technique almost every single time I create, and I love the dimension it creates. You will see buttons in my album, on top of cut designs, sometimes accenting them, like as car wheels, or just added to spots on the page for a touch of color and dimension. Yes, it’s a simple technique, but it’s pretty much my very favorite thing to dress up anything!!

I used a paint dauber to dress up my black chipboard pieces. These pieces were part of a chipboard album and by taking out two,  I still have several pieces to make into another project ( budget friendly). Need the rings? They can be found at an office supply store, or many companies now sell colored rings to hold the album together.

I always like to add a small journal spot to the inside album cover, just to let the reader know why exactly this album was compiled.

I added interest to my first page by adding foam tape to my diecut tree. You can see that my album has different sized pages for interest.

Cut out simple shapes to use for journal spots.

Small envelopes can be fun and interesting pages. You can chose to allow the envelope to open or just be decorative.

Buttons make cute additions to diecuts.

Bold patterned paper won’t distract from your design if you use larger diecuts and strips of cardstock.

A tag can be a nice addition if you want your diecut to feel grounded on your page.

Use a bold solid cardstock over bold patterns to stand out.

You can create bold pattern backgrounds and layer over them too.

You can repeat diecuts and have them look very different by simply changing the colors of the layers.
I hope you like my mini album today and have gotten a few simple tips from me! Happy Travels!


***DOWNLOAD Kristen Swain’s Road Trip Gypsy File HERE***
Cricut Expression
Gypsy Hand held Device
Paper/stickers- Cosmo Cricket
Envelopes- Maya Road
Adhesive/Foam Tape- Glue Arts
Buttons/twine- craft supply
rings- office supply
ribbon- www.etsy.com/shop/scrapinkris
chipboard- bobunny
paint dauber- andirondack
Accent Essentials Cartridge:
starburst-  4.92 , 5 inches
circle- 4.92, 5 inches
circle- 2.82, 2.70, 2 inches
scallop square- 2 inches
Elegant Edges Cartridge:
diamond pattern- 5 inches
Everyday Paper Dolls Cartridge:
curved road- 1.13 inches
Pack your Bags Cartridge:
car- 1.94 inches
Heritage Cartridge:
horse and carriage- 2.22 inches
Country Life Cartridge:
roadtrip -2.88 inches
farm- 2.53 inches
sun and clouds- 2, 1.16  inches
farm- 2.53 inches
Gypsy Font:
words-
Covered -1.16 inches
bridges-1.23 inches
horse and buggy-1.04 inches
family-1.10 inches
having fun- 1.04 inches
sprawling farm- 1.08, 1.55 inches

No comments: