Monday, September 2, 2013

Happy Holiday Decor

Nov 28 2011

Happy Holiday Decor

Posted by: Kristen Swain · Edit
Hello all, Kristen here with a fun post today. Now, I love love creating my holiday decor. In fact, just the other day (we’ve mostly got our decorations up already) I was counting how many of my items were homemade and how many store bought. Even I was surprised that more then half were mine, makes me a proud and happy crafter!
I’m showing you a pretty, easy, and most importantly inexpensive but beautiful Christmas tree, fit for any decor. Monochromatic is one of my favorite ways to go with color, but you can create this fun tree in any color!

Ethereal isn’t it? I adore silver and white.
I bought a 16″ styrofoam cone, then I took the white dollar store crepe paper ( in the party section) and basted the top edge with my sewing machine. I sewed about 3/4 of the roll. Then I spent a little time pulling on the stitch to ruffle the crepe paper. When it was done, I hot glued each row of crepe paper onto my tree. You can fold the edge under and it will hide easily in the ruffles.
Now, I had a plain but pretty ruffled tree. I used Damask Decor and found this swirly heart and pretty snowflake image. I could have just used the snowflake, but I wanted something unique and the heart works so well.

What I first did was to cut out the swirl pieces, then I cut out the shadow. I knew I wanted to use pins to place my decorations on the tree, and this gave me a nice solid piece of cardstock to push through. I first glittered the swirl images, then I adhered them to the shadow, and stuck a pretty pearl headed pin through them.
I decorated the tree in a symmetrical pattern, adding almost a line down the tree of the hearts, then a line of the snowflakes, then hearts again until the tree was full.

Now, once the tree was designed, I was left with a cut off top cone. Since there was no point to decorate, I created my own with a couple wood turnings I had in my craft room. I hot glued the spindle on top of the cone, then on top of that, I glued a medium wood bead. I used glue and painted it around the wood items, then sprinkled my glitter on.

I used two strands of silver pipe cleaners and twisted them around the cone just underneath the knob, to finish that part. Then I created a bow and hot glued that to the larger knob. I added two clear acrylic snowflakes and tied on two gold bells ( I had no silver this size) so I painted them as well with glue and glittered them. Never settle, there is always a way to change something to make it work for you!. The ribbon is a generic white ribbon.

Now, I really hope you have enjoyed my pretty tree and it inspires you to create your own decor items!
Happy Holidays!


Cricut Expression
Gypsy Handheld Device
Damask Decor
  • cut- LAYER1,  ( cut at least 9 x) at 1.75
  • cut- LAYER1 ( cut at least 9x) at 1.75 inches
  • cut- LAYER1 ( cut at least 9x) at 1.75 inches
  • cut LAYER1 ( cut at least 9x) at 1.75 inches
Cardstock: American Crafts
Acrylic Snowflakes: Imaginisce
Jingle Bells/Floral Pins/Wood Turnings/Silver Pipe Cleaners/Ribbon: Craft supply
Glitter: Yudu Silver Glitter
Sewing machine & thread
Hot Glue: Glue Arts

No comments: