Monday, June 28, 2010

Back from staycation

Good morning to you! wow, it's been a hot one this past week. We were on vacation last week, not really going somewhere for the whole time, we did a couple small day trips.
One fun part of our vacation was to travel down to Luray Caverns in Virginia, and after, drove along a portion of the Skyline Drive in the  Blue Ridge Mountains in Shenandoah National Park.

Here are some pics of our trip.
This is hubby and girls inside the caverns, it gets quite close but at times opens up to huge spaces. At 6ft 6 inches, my dh had to duck quite a bit. What was neat about the caverns is the self guided tours, you walk about 1 1/5 miles along the path and you have headphones to give you info about certain spots. Also it was cool but humid, compared to the 96 degree day outside, it was a great cooler way to enjoy the day. I figured it was about 75 -80 degrees in the cavern.



Here is a pic of Annalise inside one of the stalagmites - just so show you an idea of how huge some of them are. In several spots the rocks stick up through the path ( or down like here), which is a nice photo op spot. Just to tell you how old this stalagmite is- it takes about 300 years to create 1 square inch of rock.


Inside the cavern is still active, growing, and there are spots with water flowing. This is Mirror Lake- not deep but so beautiful, showing the stalagmites on the ceiling.



There is one spot with colored lights- the wishing well, where people are allowed to toss coins in. The Caverns donates the money to charity.


Skyline Drive is quite beautiful. I have vertigo and dislike high places with little protection from the edge ( there are stone walls keeping you on the road), but am impressed with how well I handled this drive.
The day  was hot and humid, making the mountains in the background misty and vague.


Just a pic of some pretty flowers we happened upon along one of the overlooks. btw- don't you love blogging, making you look at the dreaded vacation pics! LOL!!


ok- on to scrapping. I made this card for Father's day for my hubby, and sent it to be included in the Cards blog challenge, but didn't share it here. I made it with Cosmo Cricket papers, making my own banner at the top. I also used two Magistical Memories chipboard pieces, one raw ( circle ) and one inked ( star ) . I punched holes in the circle, adding in a twine stitching, and knotting it at the end. I also embossed my star with my swiss dots folder, and added some K&CO letters. the metal brad is from Bobunny.

thanks for stopping by today!
kris

No comments: