Tuesday, September 9, 2008

MMMMMMM MMMM Cookies

I will warn you- this post might make you a bit hungry!
I love to bake still- you might not know this- but before I had the kiddos I was a professional cake decorator and pastry chef. Mostly the chefing was making small desserts, I was also a baker during some of those work years. The cake decorating was my true love - I worked at a store that sold hundreds of cakes and they were the best tasting ones around. But I have done lots of baking as well, everything- from artisan breads to danish.
I still love to do it- making a sweet confection- just a great amount of satisfaction in that for me.
In the interest of time, I tend to stick to more simple desserts and treats. Cookies are my favorites to make- I give away a lot of them. School teachers and Dh's coworkers- and sometimes to friends who need a pick me up.
Every year I make batches and batches of chocolate chip cookies. I even have several versions- including chocolate chip coconut pecan cookies.
This is my simple, basic chocolate chip cookie
I love a soft gooey cookie- the only crispness around the very outside edges.
my secret- add in more brown sugar then white- it keeps the cookie softer. And I put in lots of chocolate chips in my cookies- usually double the amount- so that they are positively brimming with em.
Here is my recipe

3- 4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup stick margerine
1.5 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
lots and lots of chocolate chips.
cream margerine and sugar, add in eggs, then add in vanilla.
add flour, soda and salt. ( flour is not exact- I like a stiffer dough)

I make golfball size round balls with dough, then flatten slightly on my parchment paper covered cookie sheet.
to make pecan chocolate chip cookies- simply add in less chips and about 2 cups of pecan halves.
bake at 350 degrees for 10- 12 minutes. let cool on wire racks.

you can also make large cookies- I usually make those for my hubby- they are about 4 inches across- and they are the same dough- they just bake a bit longer.
have a great tuesday!
kris

1 comment:

Christina @ Cookies are my Canvas said...

Okie dokie...you must e-mail me about these cookies!! I don't know what I've done wrong, but I have the "dough" mixed up in my bowl in the kitchen and it is not dough-ey AT ALL....it is very crumbly. I have re-read to make sure I've not left anything out and I haven't. It is 6.5 to 7 cups of flour?? I've used just a little over 6.5 cups. Let me know your thoughts!!
Christina